David Christopher was born on August 3rd, 2005, at only 26 weeks and 6 days gestation.

He weighed in at 1 lb, 4oz, and was 12.5 inches long.

Here's his story.

Monday, August 4, 2008

Happy THIRD Birthday, David!!!

So... August 3rd marked three years since I gave birth to my little miracle baby... and somehow, even though it seems like just yesterday, my little miracle baby has turned into a thriving, active three year old.

This has been an insane journey. I can vividly remember making several trips a day up to the hospital to just get a short glimpse of the most amazing, beautiful, tiny baby I had ever seen. I can remember praying everyday when I left that that wasn't the last time I would see him. I remember sleeping with my phone in my hand, out of fear that I'd receive a call from the NICU.

And, I remember bringing him home for the first time. "Showing" him around his home, even though he fell asleep as soon as we walked through the door. Learning about oxygen machines, nebulizers, medicines, etc. What seemed so incredibly overwhelming at first soon became second nature as I proudly did everything within my power to keep my baby healthy.

As you all know - despite every effort sometimes things happen. David went into pulmonary hypertension crisis on April 7th, 2006, and we nearly lost him.... but even that couldn't keep David down, because he recovered from that and after nearly three months in the hospital, we got to bring David home again.

I take pride in the fact that we made it through the entire calendar year of 2007 hospital free. David spent that time growing and changing before my eyes, learning new things every day, overcoming one obstacle after another. David learned how to crawl, then walk. All of this despite the doctor's warnings that he may never be able to accomplish these things.

His health also continued to improve. While once it was a continuous battle just to keep him out of the hospital, his immune system slowly grew stronger and stronger. His lungs began to heal from the damage the ventilator caused. Soon the medicines and breathing treatments began to decrease. David finally got off of oxygen in October 2007.

So now David is a pretty typical three year old little boy. He loves to sing songs and give kisses and play outside. He'll do anything to go "bye bye" including bringing me my purse and my keys. He has temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way and gets very excited when Mommy or Daddy come home from work.

We still have a ways to go before I'd consider the battle completely over - but isn't that how it always is? We always have to fight and fight and fight to make sure that our babies turn out to be good, successful people. Sometimes it seems unobtainable, but somehow, as parents, we figure out a way.

I can never forget the people who have helped me along this journey, either. Because without all of you, I wouldn't be the person I am today, nor would David be the person he is today. So to all of you - 36_3_16%5B1%5D.gif

And, if you have the time - I put together a slideshow for David (click on the picture)

user posted image

Anyways - David's in Miami Florida with his Daddy - they left on Saturday and will return on August 11th. I miss him like crazy but I know he's having a great time. I was doing okay until I saw these pictures... then I started crying because I just want to kiss him!

But I'm so glad Javier's sending me pictures....

His first plane ride!!!
user posted image
user posted image

I guess this is at Javier's parent's house:
user posted image
user posted image

Well, after hours on the phone and alot of arguing, David finally got approved for the MDCP program. Which means, he won't have to go to daycare!! I'm so relieved. Now we have to schedule a time to take him to spend the "night" in the nursing home - I think I told you how we have to spend from 10pm until after midnight in the nursing home so that it can show that he was institutionalized for a period of time that had a date change... in order to bypass the waiting list. We'll probably do that when he gets home.

Here's some pictures from a few weeks ago. Amy and I took the kids to the discovery center. We had a great time!
Weston and Jaxon
user posted image

David and Jaxon
user posted image

user posted image

Jaxon
user posted image

David chooses the most embarassing places to have temper tantrums.
user posted image

This was his favorite thing
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image


And some random pictures:
Eating flamin' hot cheeto puffs - he LOVES them!!!
user posted image

David was attempting to feed himself chocolate pudding
user posted image

Mom! Some privacy please?
user posted image

Eating a popcicle (he doesn't like them - at ALL - in fact, the only way he would eat it was from a spoon)
user posted image
user posted image

Playing on his "laptop"
user posted image

Falling out of his chair LOL
user posted image

You think he's trying to tell me something? LOL
user posted image

Recently I signed release papers so that Maria can transport David if she wants to or needs to. David's new thing is he wants to go "bye bye" ALL the time.... so now he can 36_1_20%5B1%5D.gif

Anyways, so Maria took David to the public library for the first time (which, I'm sad that I missed) and to the discovery center!!

Here's some pictures from when we took David to Jump n' Jive. I figured he would HATE it - but it wasn't really as bad as I had anticipated. I wouldn't say that he loved it, but he seemed to have an okay time, even though you could tell he was nervous. Here are some of the pictures:

Getting used to it
user posted image

Riding down the slide with JoAnn 36_1_20%5B1%5D.gif
user posted image

Going by himself!
user posted image

Peeking through the toy at Mama
user posted image

Playing with JoAnn and Laura
user posted image

user posted image

He couldn't hardly stand because he'd fall
user posted image

So he decided to crawl everywhere
user posted image

Weeeeee
user posted image

So I've recently been touched by an amazing journey that another parent is blogging about. Her name is Kayleigh and she was born on June 23rd, weighing only a little more than a pound. It's difficult for me to read this story sometimes because I can so vividly remember being in their shoes - but I can't stop because she's just amazing. If you have time, check out her blog.

And, here's an amazing poem that makes me cry:
A Premature Baby's Prayer


God bless the little child behind the plastic wall
For all he knows is the ringing of the bells and
the blurred images around him. He has been taken
from my womb without warning and I long to hold him
in my arms.

Lord, I ask in your name that my child be healed.
I am willing to accept your decision no matter what
it will be. I am willing to take on the responsibilities
for caring for this child. I am willing to give this
child love and understanding no matter the cost.

Please Lord help me to accept reality and what has
happened without explanation or warning. Help me
face the fact that this is not my fault and that
I was given a special task to complete here on Earth.

God give my child the strength to make it through another
second, minute, hour and day as each moment is
a blessing and a triumph from heaven.

God, may you give the strength and compassion
to the caregivers and nurses that take care of my child
May you keep my child protected and free from all injury
and pain.

Please take away the guilt and burden from my heart dear
Lord. It is heavy and I feel it is all my fault.
Take it away dear Lord. Sweet Jesus allow me the strength
and understanding I need to communicate with the Doctors
and Nurses.

As you see dear Lord, I am at your mercy for the life of
my child. Please leave him here on Earth and know that
I will provide all the love and understanding that
this child needs. I accept the challenge and will be
your humble servant dear Lord.

~Author unknown~

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I don't even remember how I got to read your blog, but I am so glad I did and still do!

Happy 3rd Birthday, David! I hope it was a great one and you get home to mommy soon! You have come such a looonnnngggg way, with many struggles, but you did it, and proved everyone wrong! Now that's doin' it Preemie Style!

Adam said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!!! I sure hope you had a wonderful birthday and got lots of great presents. Birthdays are the best time ever. I hope you are having a great time on your trip with Daddy. I hoped you weren't as scared of the plane ride like I am. You looked like you were having a great time. Kayleigh says hello!

With great love,

Adam & Aimee Freeman :)

What's the rest of the story?