David Christopher was born on August 3rd, 2005, at only 26 weeks and 6 days gestation.

He weighed in at 1 lb, 4oz, and was 12.5 inches long.

Here's his story.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lots of updates!!!

Gosh, I can't believe it's been so long since I've updated. Things have been crazy busy around here since David started school. But, we're in the middle of the fourth week of school now, and things are starting to calm down a little bit. I have a new-found respect for all the mother's of school aged children now! I have to get up extra early in order to get him to school by 745, and then go to work myself.

Then all the preparation the night before - setting out the clothes, making sure the meds are ready and all the stuff to get him dressed - lotion, gauze for his button, socks, shoes - so it won't take as long in the morning.

It was stressful for him at first too - the teachers told us at first that he did really good but they're gonna have to work on him sitting down 36_1_20%5B1%5D.gif I told them he's barely even three years old and had never had any sort of organized activity. I mean, we play at home, and we color and home, etc - but when he's ready to get up, I just let him get up, I've never made him sit there and do something for longer than he wanted to.

Anyways, now they say that he is minding so well! She said he does whatever they ask. Every day I get new stories of all the people he's given kisses to (I've got to get him to stop kissing strangers 36_1_20%5B1%5D.gif ) and they just really like him.

Also, the first week of school, David was so nervous when we were waiting for the teacher in the cafeteria. There was just too much going on for him to eat the breakfast that they serve, so I was having to wake up extra early and feed him before we left. But this week has been so much better! He's adjusted, and has eaten breakfast, at the table with his friends, every day this week!!


Here's some pictures of his first day - so excited!!
user posted image
user posted image

Sitting at the table in the cafeteria (where we wait for his teacher every morning)
user posted image

David and his teacher's assistant, Ms. Hernandez
user posted image

Well, August 29th was our last day for nursing.

It's hard to convey to someone who has never had nursing how much we've learned to depend on them. Of course, the obvious - if David's ever showing signs of illness, they're equipped to handle the situation. However, there's so many small things that I've learned to count on the nurses to take care of. Like setting up and remembering doctor's appointments or ordering medicines when we're almost out.

I always knew, without even having to ask, that when I got home from work, David had had all of the fluids he was supposed to have, is caught up with medicines, and is fed, bathed, and dressed. It's taken some getting used to, but JoAnn has been keeping him during the daytime and she's doing a really wonderful job - in fact, she even cleans my house sometimes! Sweet! smilie
Here's the last couple of pictures of Maria & David (I had this one printed out and framed for her to remember us by)
user posted image

Playing David's new favorite game 36_1_20%5B1%5D.gif
user posted image

We still see Maria quite a bit, though - turns out her daughter is in the classroom across the hall from David! And, when Maria brings her daughter to school, sometimes we see her in the cafeteria in the morning. So, I'm hoping we're able to keep in touch.

David started going to Progressive Steps for physical, occupation, and speech therapy once a week. The combination of this and going to school every day has made a difference in David that you wouldn't believe! He's talking soooo much now. Of course, alot of the things he says only make sense to us, but he'll repeat nearly everything that you say. It's so exciting!!

Here's some random pictures from this last month:
Why yes, mom, I did take my potty chair apart and am now carrying around a toilet seat. 36_19_4%5B1%5D.gif
user posted image

Playing with Mr. Potato Head's glasses 36_11_6%5B1%5D.gif
user posted image

Climbing in my car while Javier was attempting to fix it
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Got your nose!
user posted image

user posted image

Playing on the computer
user posted image


Whew! Long day
user posted image

David and I went to the park recently to feed the ducks. David didn't quite understand why we were throwing perfectly good food into the water, though. 36_1_20%5B1%5D.gif
user posted image

The ducks were apparently not even a little bit hungry - and I had brought a crapload of bread... oh well. So David and I just walked around the park. He had so much fun with all that freedom!!
user posted image
user posted image

I don't know what he was doing here 36_1_20%5B1%5D.gif
user posted image
user posted image

I'm really sad because I missed the NICU reunion - it was last Saturday... I remembered it on Sunday. sob.gif We'll have to take a trip up there to visit the staff sometime soon - they haven't seen him since last Halloween!!

Finally, Tuesday was David's first field trip! They went to the fair, where they got to see all of the animals, which corresponds to the unit they are covering in school: the farm. (I think that's so cute!) Naturally, I tagged along. Here are the pictures from that:
David didn't want to get on the school bus at first 36_1_20%5B1%5D.gif
user posted image

This is about the time that I was wondering, when did my baby turn into a kid on a school bus??
user posted image

At the fair!!
user posted image

First we went to the petting zoo! David wouldn't touch them at first but by the time we were done he was touching all of them.
user posted image
user posted image

Aww a baby cow!
user posted image

We learned all about milk and where it comes from and how good it is for you. David wasn't really interested in this man's speech about calcium, but once the man started milking the cow, David was fascinated!
user posted image

Looking at the horses
user posted image

Looking at some more animals, in their pens. This is his teacher's assistant, Ms. Hernandez.
user posted image

By the end of the field trip, David was getting carried 36_1_20%5B1%5D.gif (and people say *I* spoil him! 36_11_6%5B1%5D.gif )
user posted image

Till next time 36_3_16%5B1%5D.gif

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He just amazes me! Wow what a beautiful kid your raising. I can't believe no more nurses!! What a big step!

What's the rest of the story?